1. How do I name my files for the competition and what information to you need?
Image file names must be renamed in the correct format prior to uploading/submitting online. Please rename in the following format with: category code- your name (Initial of First name and Full last name)-image number eg PO-JSmith-01 PO-JSmith-02 PO-JSmith-03 SEA-JSmith-01 etc. Files should be saved as JPEG (.jpg)
2. What are the category codes for each category?
Animal Behaviour – AB
Black & White Prints – BW
Colour Prints – CP
Compact Camera – COM
Creative Vision – CV
Fish Behaviour – FB
Music and Pictures – MAP
New Photographer – OGN
ONE OCEAN Video or Slide Show – ONE
People & Seascapes – PEO
Photo Journalist Award – OGP
Portfolio Award – PA
Portraits – PO
Seascapes – SEA
Small Exotic Animals – SXA
Vision of the Sea – movie VA or VB
3. When I go submit it asks for Image Caption? What do I put there?
You must put the same as your file name as per FAQ 1 ( see above) followed by any caption information you wish to include. You may include a short or long caption. If FB and AB categories please include details of the behaviour in your caption
eg.PO JSmith 01- A giant squid eating a fish. Komodo Indonesia SXA JSmith 01 Pygmy Seahorse Hippocampus bargibanti found at 20m Julien’s Reef Raja Ampat Indonesia. This seahorse only 1cm in height.
4. I don’t know how to rename my files. What do I do?
For windows users. Save a copy of the images you wish to submit in a new folder. Find the file you wish to submit in your folder in Windows explorer. Right click on the file and select rename. Rename file in the format JSmith-FB-01 etc as per FAQ1 ( see above) Repeat for all the files you wish to submit . For MAC users: a)Select the file in the Finder, then click and hold on the file name until it becomes editable. Type the new name, then click anywhere else in the Finder. or b) Right-click or Control-click on the file in the Finder and choose Get Info from the contextual menu. Click Rename and type the new name, then click away from the file.
5. I tried above and I still don’t know how to rename my files. What do I do?
Ask someone you know to assist. Most people familiar with computers will be able to help you. Email email@example.com if you really get stuck.
6. If I don’t rename my files what will happen?
Your files may not appear in the correct spot for judging
7. Why do I put my name in? Shouldn’t the judging be anonymous?
Your files will be judged anonymously. The file name is used for our internal sorting and to be able to quickly find images.
8. What size should my image files be and what file type should I use?
All images must be submitted as JPEGs, (.jpg) saved at a high quality level (eg 12 in Photoshop, Adobe (1998) colour space) and must be 1920 pixels on the longest dimension.
9. Can you walk me through how to submit my images step by step?
- Register to compete and you will receive an automated email with all the links you need to submit images
- Select your images you wish to enter, rename them and save them in a folder where you can find them
- Log in at www.ogpicoty.com and you will be taken direct to a submissions page.
- Image Caption: use the same format as your file name followed by any other caption information you wish to include eg “AB JSmith 01 – Yellow Dreams. A giant frogfish taken at night. Alor Indonesia.” ( See FAQ 1 & FAQ3 above)
- Select your Image category: Click on Animal Behaviour-AB and a drop down menu will appear for you to select from.
- Choose File: Find your file on your computer/device and click on it and its name will appear in the upload image screen
- Double check Image Caption and Image category are correct
- Click on Upload image ( if nothing happens check you have something in the image caption field)
- A green bar will show on top showing upload progress. Once uploaded the bar will show 100%. After 3-5 seconds the page should reset ready for a new submission and your uploaded thumbnail and Image Caption will appear in your submitted images below
- If the page does not reset and is showing 100%, click in the web address bar and press enter to reset the page to www.ogpicoty.ogsociety.org/file-upload/
- If you wish to change any images simply select the image and delete.
9. How do I know if my images have been submitted?
On the submit page your images already submitted will show down below. Or once logged in, from the home page go LOG OUT and there is a drop down menu under that. Go to Submissions and it will take you back to the submission page and your submitted images will show down below.
10. What size should I send prints for the Colour Print or BW print Categories?
The best size is A3+ or A3 is also OK.
Epson Super A3 + papers are: 13″x19″ or 329x483mm
Regular A3: 11.7″x16.5″ or 297x420mm
11. Where should I send my prints:
Ocean Geographic Pictures of the Year Comp
PO Box 2138
Carlingford NSW 2118
Ocean Geographic Pictures of the Year Comp
2a Cary St
Baulkham Hills NSW 2153
ph +61 2 9686 3688
12. Postage of prints is expensive. Can you print them for me?
For an additional fee we will get them professionally printed for you at a local print shop and include them in the judging. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
13. There is no Young Photographers category this year. What can I do?
Entrants Under 18 may enter the Compact Camera Category or New Photographer Category free of charge. Email email@example.com to request a code to enter. Some proof of age or school ID required.
14. How do I change my email, username, password or name?
Once logged in, from the home page go LOG OUT and there is a drop down menu under that. Go to My Account. Go to Personal Details and select edit.
15. I’ve forgotten my username or password. What do I do
Go to www.ogpicoty.com and select Log In. Under the the log in screen select Lost your password. A reset password link will be sent to the email you used to set up your registration. ( Check junk mail/spam folder if not received) Your username will show on the email and you can reset your password ( you may use the same password you used before if you wish)
16. I registered to compete and completed payment but have not seen any automated email to confirm it.
Check your junk mail/Spam folder. Check your email address you set up was correct ( See FAQ 14 above). Contact us as we may need to resend you the email once you have corrected the email address.